Daily musings of the creative team of Jack & Ella Designs. Showcasing the talent of other Etsy designers, as well as life according to us. - Enjoy!

http://jackandella.etsy.com

Saturday, September 12, 2009

The Corn is as High as an Elephant's Eye


Last night, my mom and I had the priviledge of seeing my dearest friend and business partner Paige perform the role of Laurie in Oklahoma.

I had never seen Oklahoma before, and in the most jaded and catty theatre girl attitude always thought, "Oklahoma, oh BARF." I couldn't have been more wrong.

It was SUCH a good production, and I enjoyed every minute of it. The casting was superb - many friends of mine from various other shows I've worked on in the past, but this time given such great roles for them to really stretch their wings with! I'd like to give a shout out to my favorite performances from last night:
Gennine Harrington (Ado Annie), Steve Perez (Will Parker), Joey Montez (Ali Hakim) and Lisa Cross (Aunt Eller). Special notice goes to Michael D. Reed for his performance as Jud Fry - what a voice, and masterfully portrayed. You had my mom and I saying, "Wow, he's good!" (And believe me honey, we KNOW.)

But the show would have been nothing without the brilliant performances of Paige Cook Perez (Laurie) and Tyler Bennett (Curly), whose grace, ease of character and natural chemistry made their love story an enchanting romance. And did I mention that they sang the poop out of it? Yeah, that too... ;o)

The production was directed by Nancy Fitzgerald-Metzler and choreographed by Jayne Zaban, and they both did a magnificent job sculpting this cast into the confection that it is - BRAVI!

If you live in the SF Bay area, and want to see a wonderful rendition of Oklahoma, it plays through the end of September at Hillbarn Theatre in Foster City.

Go. Don't barf. Just go.

No comments: