Daily musings of the creative team of Jack & Ella Designs. Showcasing the talent of other Etsy designers, as well as life according to us. - Enjoy!

http://jackandella.etsy.com

Thursday, October 22, 2009

Nevermore


Poe's Raven


The Raven
Edgar Allen Poe

Once upon a midnight dreary, while I pondered, weak and weary,
Over many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten lore -
While I nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a tapping,
As of some one gently rapping at my chamber door.
"'Tis some visiter," I muttered, "tapping at my chamber door -
Only this and nothing more."
...

Open here I flung the shutter, when, with many a flirt and flutter,
In there stepped a stately Raven of the saintly days of yore.
Not the least obeisance made he; not a minute stopped or stayed he;
But, with mien of lord or lady, perched above my chamber door -
Perched upon a bust of Pallas just above my chamber door -
Perched, and sat, and nothing more.
...

"Prophet!" said I, "thing of evil - prophet still, if bird or devil!
By that Heaven that bends above us - by that God we both adore -
Tell this soul with sorrow laden if, withing the distant Aidenn,
It shall clasp a sainted maiden whom the angels name Lenore -
Clasp a rare and radiant maiden whom the angels name Lenore."
Quoth the Raven, "Nevermore."
...

And the Raven, never flitting, still is sitting, still is sitting
On the pallid bust of Pallas just above my chamber door;
And his eyes have all the seeming of a demon's that is dreaming
and the lamp-light o'er him streaming throws his shadow on the floor;
And my sould from out that shadow that lies floating on the floor
Shall be lifted - nevermore!

This poem has always been a favorite of mine - so dark and Sartre-esque. It seems like the worst kind of personal hell to be trapped in that deep of despair with no way out and the very devil himself unwaveringly watching... watching...

(Incidentally, the opening lines of this poem have forever been ruined for me by Blues Traveler. Thanks HEAPS, guys!)

Enjoy these items inspired by Poe and The Raven from our friends at Etsy:

crow graveyard raven photograph
The Raven Clutch in Silk Nevermore by Edgar Allan Poe


Nevermore


RAVEN and POE dark art articulating mechanical paper doll toy ornament


Quothe the Raven.......Laptop Bag
by queenbee55

Edgar Alan Poe Gothic Poetry Necklace
by HeadlessTessDIY

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Gorgeous!
ArtsGallery.Etsy.com

BLUEYEDUCKstudios said...

thank-you!
(for featuring my paper-doll-poe among such great poe-etry)

what a great blog!

~kD
blueyeduckstudios

Hi, my name is Rosemary said...

It's an honor to have my The Raven Clutch featured on this great blog. Thank you!